Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Fahrrad zum Tiergarten (bike to park)

For a week now I've been looking wistfully at all the bike riders in Berlin whizzing up and down the street, through the park, dodging the pedestrians, skirting the traffic with the wind in their hair and an ice cream cone in their hand. No kidding. I think it is the German national pastime to ride a bike and lick an ice cream cone simultaneously. And they look very cool and graceful doing it. I have made a pact with myself to try it at least once, and so . . . to that end, I have finally procured a bike. It makes me happy to fly around, up and down the canal and see Berlin on two wheels. My bike is beautiful. It is a very old, single speed women's bike with a cushioned seat and the requisite little bell on the handlebars to warn people you are about to run them over. But most people know I'm coming because the brakes squeal. I must get a little more graceful with my city riding. The bike is about one inch too high for me, so getting on and off requires a funny little jump and hop. This first day, it was humorous for onlookers, but a little angst-filled for me thinking I might fall over at every intersection. I had an ambitious and adventurous first ride all the way from my neighborhood (Kreuzberg) to Tiergarten (Mitte). I guess that would be the equivalent of going from Washington Square to Central Park. The bike rattles and clanks over the cobblestones, and my teeth clatter along with it. I rode past many small parks, and over several defaced iron statue/busts of communist leaders. I recognized Gorbachev. Also rode over a section of pavement with the red sickle and hammer painted every few feet. Usually an anarchy symbol is nearby. This post is rather rambling like my ride itself. I got lost and found myself in Mitte, the heart of the city (Times Square equivalent) but held my own as I rode past museums, the Judische Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie and the Sony Center. I will describe each in turn in a longer piece. Finally made it to Tiergarten and felt as if I'd stumbled into a forest straight out of Hansel and Gretel. In fact I expected to meet them there and considered leaving little scraps of paper out behind me to find my way out. Tier in german means animal, but I did not see any animals except for metal statues of horses and lions. I think there are more I haven't found. Also, German sunbathers, mostly naked or near naked. If there were live animals there, they might be a little alarmed (as I was, initially) but the metal ones seem quite stoic, as do the sunbathers. I found my way back to the flat, and rode through a busy Turkish market. I have not quite gotten graceful enough on the bike to attempt the icecream trick, but will be sure and tell the world when I arrive . . .!

1 comment:

Stan Dotson said...

Hey LNJ,

How's the training--ice cream on a bicycle? You'll be ready for the circus in no time! Looking forward to another story. Hope you're doing well, and we'll see you soon.